Sunday 27 June 2010

Birmingham on a beautiful summer day

After the Wynton Marsalis concert, the next day we had a wander through Birmingham City Centre, which has some great public art and architecture. All of these photos were taken within a five minute walk through the centre to have breakfast.

This is the edge of the library building (I think) which looked quite striking against the blue sky:


After the library, we saw this statue in the centre of the waterfall in front of the Council House in Victoria Square. I love public art and particularly really big, in-your-face sculpture.

On the edge of Victoria Square was this statue, which looked a bit Egyptian with celtic-style designs on the side:

And after that, was this one, which I think is stunning and is one of the most pleasing things I have seen in a city for a long time:

I have only been to Birmingham once before on a flying visit, and didn’t really explore as the weather was so horrible. I liked the city a lot and thought there was a really good vibe of community unity.