Sunday 27 June 2010

Jazz in Birmingham

On 25 June I went to see Wynton Marsalis and the Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra at Birmingham Symphony Hall. The whole night was amazing. I am no aficionado of jazz or instrumental music as I have never played an instrument, but this is the second time I have seen Wynton Marsalis and each time now I have just been blown away. On this occasion, I particularly enjoyed the tributes to John Coltrane and Count Basie. One of the stars of the show for me was Walter Blanding Jr. who played saxophone and clarinet, and played one of the most beautiful solos I have ever heard. Watching people who are so at the top of their game is truly inspirational.

After the show, all of the orchestra came out to chat to the audience, and I had the opportunity to meet the aforementioned Walter Blanding Jr., Dan Nimmer (a jaw-droppingly amazing jazz pianist), and trombonist Chris Crenshaw, who sang Count Basie’s I Left My Baby so beautifully it was almost tear-jerking. After a while, Wynton Marsalis came out to greet the audience too, and seeing him chat with the youngsters in the audience was lovely. Whilst he has been in the UK he has spent some time working with young people on workshops and to see him chat away so easily with the little ones was great. There is no doubt about his talent, and I’m sure he knows just how good he is, but one-on-one he certainly is a gentleman.